Today I’m thinking of getting back into so good old work and I read there is a new patch to Ruby, version p330. So I figure that RVM (Ruby Version Manager) being so easy and quick to update, I’d do the good old “rvm get head, rvm reload, rvm update 1.8.7” and I’m off to the races.

Well it wasn’t quite as simple. I ended up with an error:
ruby-1.8.7-p330 - #fetching
ruby-1.8.7-p330 - #extracting ruby-1.8.7-p330 to /Users/andrew/.rvm/src/ruby-1.8.7-p330
ruby-1.8.7-p330 - #extracted to /Users/andrew/.rvm/src/ruby-1.8.7-p330
ruby-1.8.7-p330 - #configuring
ruby-1.8.7-p330 - #compiling
Error running 'make ', please read /Users/andrew/.rvm/log/ruby-1.8.7-p330/make.log
There has been an error while running make. Halting the installation.

When I looked into the the make.log, It had this to say:
readline.c: In function ‘username_completion_proc_call’:
readline.c:730: error: ‘username_completion_function’ undeclared (first use in this function)
readline.c:730: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
readline.c:730: error: for each function it appears in.)

So, I figured this was going to take too long to deal with, and moved on to working on my projects. That is till I opened up my project and and did a “rvm [email protected]” and it come up with:
warn: ruby ruby-1.8.7-p330 is not installed.
To install do: 'rvm install ruby-1.8.7-p330'

Great! Now I can’t upgrade, and I can’t work with what I have!

Long story short, I figured out that I was missing readline (now I’m sure I’ve installed in a long while ago, but I think I was missing the latest version). Also, rvm install readline resulted in an “Unrecognized command line argument: ‘readline’ ( see: ‘rvm usage’ )

Turns out RVM updated it’s command to install readline to:
rvm package install readline

Update: (Nov 10, 2011)
If you’re using a newer version of RVM, package has been renamed to pkg, so the command to install readline would be:
rvm pkg install readline

However this didn’t fix my install issue, still got the same error. Luckily I found a post that pointed out that my rvm may not know where readline is (odd, as I used rvm to install readline). Running this command allowed me to install it correctly:
rvm install 1.8.7 -C –with-readline-dir=/Users/andrew/.rvm/usr
[Notice: ‘andrew’ is my username on my mac, yours might be different]

rvm install 1.8.7 -C --with-readline-dir=$rvm_path/usr

Like always, I’m hoping this helps some people out.

Let me know if you have any issues.

%d bloggers like this: